Thursday, March 24, 2011

80th Birthday

I was asked to make cookies for an 80th birthday.  The color scheme was pink, purple and green, so this is what I came up with:
I used my sugar cookie recipe and decorated them with Royal Icing.
These are some of the supplies I used.  The cookie cutter is a basic flower shape that came in a box (I think from Wilton) of 100 different kinds.

I tinted the icing using Americolor gel paste coloring in bright white, soft pink, regal purple, and leaf green. (Sorry! I forgot to include that one in the photo!)  For the green, I dipped a toothpick in the bottle and kept adding until I got the color I wanted.

Once the icing was mixed and colored, I used the spray bottle to gradually add water and get the consistency I needed.  I'm pretty sure that tip came from SugarBelle and it's such a great one!

To outline the flowers, my icing was piping consistency and I used the small squeeze bottle with a #2 tip.  I love these little bottles!  I got them from Karen's Cookies.

To fill them in, my icing was flooding consistency and I transferred it to the larger squeeze bottle that I snipped the tip off of.  This method works for me because I've never been able to get the hang of a piping bag!

Here's another little secret!  This great tip also came from SugarBelle and it is such a time saver!  I piped small circles onto waxed paper and let them dry over night.  The next day, I peeled them off of the paper and put them in the center of the wet cookie.  Instant flower center!  No need for letting the base color dry!

When the base color was dry, I went back with white, again in the small squeeze bottle.  This time, I used a #1 tip and added small dots around the centers.

The end product again:

I hope you like them Teresa!

No comments:

Post a Comment