Monday, March 7, 2011

Cake Pops!

 About a year ago, I stumbled upon a website called Bakerella.  The thing that caught my eye was something called a Cake Pop.  I was intrigued by these little creations made with cake, frosting, candy coating, and a variety of candy decorations and since I secretly want to be the next Martha Stewart, (oops! guess my secret is out--please don't laugh!) I decided to give them a try.  They received rave reviews and after making them for several occasions people asked if they could buy them!  Here is the way I make mine and a few pictures of some I have made.

First, I bake a cake.  When it has cooled completely, I cut off all the dark edges.

     Next, I put the cake into my Kitchen Aid mixer with the paddle attachment and mix 
until fine crumbs are formed.

    Then, I add a spoonful of frosting at a time while mixing, until a ball of dough is formed
 in the bowl of the mixer.

     At this point, I usually put it in the refrigerator for a few hours to chill.  
   

 When I take it out, I use a small cookie scoop to scoop out a uniform size.  They are then rolled by hand into balls    





Next, it's time to break out the melting pot.   This is yet another one of my gadgets that I just can't live without!  Just put the candy melts into the pot and flip the switch to melt.  I stir it every once in a while until fully melted.  Then, flip the switch to warm and the chocolate will stay at the perfect temperature!  You can also use a double boiler method or melt in the microwave at 30 second intervals.  If the candy seems too thick, add a little shortening or vegetable oil to thin it out.  It should pour off of a spoon, not plop!

Dip a lollipop stick into the melted candy and then press the stick into your cake ball.  Return them to the refrigerator for about 5 minutes to harden the chocolate.  This will enable you to dip the pops without them falling off the stick.

Take them out of the refrigerator a few at a time.   Submerge the pop in melted chocolate to cover it but be careful not to twirl it around or it will fall off the stick!  Pull it out and let the excess chocolate drip back into the pot.   Depending on how you want them to look,  you can either set them on waxed paper to dry or let them dry upright.  If you are drying them upright, stick them in  a block of Styrofoam.

When they dry, they are ready to decorate.  I've decided to cover mine in sanding sugar.  I quickly plunge each pop into some warm water and immediately, over a bowl, sprinkle with the sugar until covered.  You can reuse the sugar that lands in the bowl.

The decorating possibilities are endless.  Here's a look at just a few


The pops will keep for about 2 weeks if kept in an airtight container or individually wrapped , but I've never known them to be kept around that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment