Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sugar Cookies

Although most sugar cookie recipes are basically the same, I could never find one that I truly loved.  After tinkering around with a few different ones, I came up with this one that works for me.

Ingredients

1 cup (2 sticks) butter (I use salted and omit the salt from the recipe)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
5 cups flour

Directions

Cream the butter and sugar.  Add the eggs and vanilla continuing to beat until light and fluffy.

At this point, if you have a dough hook, you can attach it.  Gradually add the flour and continue to mix until it forms a stiff dough.  Scrape down the sides and form a ball.

Divide this ball into two smaller ones and cover with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours.

When you are ready to roll, dust a little flour ( too much will result in bumpy cookies) on your surface.  (I like to use a rolling mat)
For easier rolling, put a piece of waxed or parchment paper on top of the dough.  When you have rolled the dough to your desired thickness, (I like mine thick!) you're ready to cut.

When they are all cut out, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.  I found these at Costco.  They were $5 for a package of 3!  They work just as good as a Silpat!!


The next step is crucial!!  Place the cookies in the freezer for 5 minutes.  This is how the cookies keep their shape when baking.  I never knew this and am so glad I do now!

Bake the cookies in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.  Immediately transfer them to a cooling rack.  Once cooled, they're ready to decorate.  I use Royal Icing, but you can glaze, fondant or whatever kind of frosting you like.



Happy cookie baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment