Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Teacher Appreciation

This week is National Teacher Appreciation Week.  The PTO at my kids' school is having a luncheon for the teachers and my contribution is the cookies!
I used my sugar cookie recipe and decorated them with lemon flavored Royal Icing.

For my kids teachers, I made caramel apples.
I started with Granny Smith apples.  I removed the stems and washed them with hot water to try to remove some of the waxy coating.   Then, I inserted wooden sticks that I purchased at the craft store.
As much as I wanted to make my own caramel, I just didn't have the time, so I used good old Kraft caramels.  I put them in a glass bowl with a little bit of cream and microwaved at 30 second intervals until they were melted and then stirred until smooth.  I dipped the apples and let the extra caramel drip back into the bowl.  Then, I set them on parchment paper sprayed with Pam and refrigerated them to firm up.
Next, I dipped them into milk chocolate candy melts that I melted in my Wilton melting pot.  I let the excess chocolate drip back into the pot and then immediately covered them in toffee bits. (Heath)
To finish them off, I melted pink, yellow and white candy melts in separate plastic bags.  I snipped the corners off and drizzled it over the apples.
Here they are all packaged up.  The cute tags came from Living Locurto.
Many, many thanks to all of the teachers at Hanover Elementary School!  Your hard work is greatly appreciated every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment