Sunday, May 8, 2011

Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

For as long as I can remember, my brother has been a Vegan.  A few years ago, I decided to make him some cookies for his birthday and stumbled upon this recipe which looked very easy and contained ingredients that I already had in my house.  They were a huge hit among all my family members and they are often requested.

Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
*1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

*To keep this recipe vegan,  make sure the chocolate chips do not contain milk.  I have found that the store brand varieties (in my case, ShopRite)  do not.

Mix together applesauce, sugars, peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.

Add flour, baking soda and baking powder.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Chill several hours.

Form cookies using a cookie scoop and then roll into balls.  Place on a lined cookie sheet.
 Flatten cookies with a fork and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
 The cookies will seem very soft when you take them out.  Transfer them to a rack to cool.  They will firm up on the outside and stay soft and chewy on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment